New!1st Qtr. 2017 Update
Jyotish and Devi had 38 interviews with journalists many of which have been very well received. There was also the completion of the Ananda video, “You Can Live in Joy” which is 3 and a half minutes of inspiration and information about Ananda’s teachings and Ananda in general. This video will be on Ananda.org and will have subtitles in at least 10 languages. Short videos developed for use on Facebook continue to reach 25,000 to 100,000 people
4th Qtr. 2016 Update
In the fourth quarter of 2016 Communications added two new dimensions. Jacqueline Debets came on as our Director of Public Relations and has ushered in a new phase of interacting with the media. We are developing new media contacts in this era of internet-based journalism as well as pursuing the well-established channels of print, radio, and TV.
We also had our first experience with streaming events. We had a very successful 70th Anniversary of the Autobiography of a Yogi online event in cooperation with the newly risen Bodhi Tree Books in Los Angeles. The event included the public launch of “The Spark” a 13 minute video sharing the profound impact Autobiography of a Yogi has had on our society and the world. Jyotish and Devi participated through a recorded video of a talk given in India followed by a panel of teachers who lives have been inspired and deeply influenced by the Autobiography—Michael Beckwith, Yogi Cameron, Phil Goldberg, and our own Narayan Romano, director Ananda Los Angeles. Over 1800 people signed up to view the live stream!
The Ananda Communications Department, established in June 2015, is focused on helping Ananda Worldwide in becoming better known for its connection with Paramhansa Yogananda, his teachings, and as providing a living example of those teachings for 50 years.
The main goals of the Communications Department in the first 12 to 18 months have been:
- to increase awareness of Ananda as a dynamic channel for the mission and teachings of Paramhansa Yogananda
- to reach new people everywhere
- to provide support to all areas of Ananda in doing this
This is what has been accomplished in 2015 and 2016:
- New Ananda website formats have been designed which will provide easier access to all that Ananda has to offer. (To be launched in 2017.)
- Autobiography of a Yogi In 2016 the Communications department focused its main message on the Autobiography and its core connection with Ananda, and with Swami Kriyananda as a direct disciple of Paramhansa Yogananda.What has been accomplished:
- the creation of a 13 minute Autobiography “documentary short” (Launched on December 1, 2016, the 70 year anniversary of the publishing of the Autobiography of a Yogi.)
- International Day of Yoga – in 2015 and 2016 social media campaigns for those two years reached 576,000 people
- 3 new websites dedicated to Mahavatar Babaji, Lahiri Mahasaya, and Sri Yukteswarji were launched in 2016
- a Kriya Yoga campaign reached 27,000 on Facebook
- Spiritual Renewal Week at Ananda Village 2016 focused on this theme
- special outreach events in Chico, Reno, and Denver
The broader effect of these efforts are increasing as well as we see more visitors to Ananda websites and to The Expanding Light, increased registrations for online classes, and simply more overall activity and interest in Ananda in all our ministries and areas of service.